Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My greening has been going so-so. I did manage to wrap all of my family’s Christmas presents in reusable bags that I got at Trader Joe’s and IKEA. My sister was at first disturbed that her presents weren’t going to be wrapped, but I was able to wrap the bags up pretty well and I think she actually liked the idea once she saw them. My family is one of traditionalists, but luckily they are open-minded enough to try new things, although I do have to bully them in to quite a bit! :) Anyway, there was a fair amount of sighing and complaining about my wanting all things organic (food-wise) and for every one to cut down on their waste, but in the end they mostly obliged. Since I have been home, I am in a constant struggle to keep the lights turned off. It is like the energy monsters run through my house flipping all the lights on when I am not looking and it is a battle I wage each day against them to keep the lights OFF! Somehow, my three year old is tall enough to turn the lights ON, yet not able to reach them when I ask him to turn them OFF. The things I learn about my children each day!


I have not attempted cheese making again since my first semi-successful attempt, but I have been baking bread, with varying levels of success. I got the book, Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day, by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois and I have found some good, easy recipes in there. I was initially intimidated when the recipes called for an ingredient called, vital wheat gluten, but luckily found it right away at Kowalski’s. (I know that store is way too expensive, but I love it!) Anyway, we are still buying some store made bread, but I am attempting to keep us supplied with fresh bread. It tastes much better and I know what goes into it! cheaper too, I think...


I am spending long hours reading through all my seed catalogues and am a bit nervous about my garden plans. I am going to double the size of my garden this year. Last year I planted seven different veggies and nine herbs. This year I am planning to plant 18 veggies and two types of fruit (raspberries and grapes). I am thinking that I may be biting off more than I can chew. Any thoughts on how crazy, or not crazy, I may be to attempt this are welcomed! I am also in the process of cleaning out the basement to start planting seedlings with my new grow light that I got for Christmas. I am attempting to grow all of my veggies from seed this year, something I have never done before. However, if I can’t get my favorites to work (tomatoes and peppers) I am not above heading to the garden store for seedlings! Funny that I should be thinking about all of this when the temperature this morning was -11.


No comments:

Post a Comment