Saturday, March 28, 2009

Welcome!

Welcome to Experience Reading! I am starting this blog after being inspired by the many amazing blogs I have read in the "kidlitosphere." I have always been obsessed with children's books and am frequently asked if I ever read 'grownup books'. Not often. As an elementary teacher ( I am currently on hiatus as I raise my two young children) I can't read books without thinking about how those books would touch my students. I underline great quotes to discuss, think of questions to ask and plan activities to help the kids relate to the characters.  There is nothing better for me than talking to kids about the books they love and seeing their faces glow, knowing that they have had an experience with that book.  I have a Master's degree in Experiential Education and wrote my thesis on how to teach reading experientially. On my website (up by summer 2009) I offer my thoughts about how to teach reading 'experientially'. I have reading lists with activities to help parents and teachers encourage their children to engage experientially with their reading. I also offer brief reviews of many of the books I have used in my classrooms. 

My main goal for this blog is to write about books I am reading (and have read) and to get feedback from others out there who love children's books as much as I do. I am learning so much from other bloggers and hope to learn even more about children's literature, teaching and reading with this blog. Thanks!   

1 comment:

  1. Heather - I think this is a great idea. Having kids really experience the books they are reading, not just complete assignments, will really help their comprehension. More importantly, it will improve their love of reading as they grow into young adults. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete